- HVDK = HID Virtual Driver Kit
- User = The person or organization who down downloaded or is installing the HVDK.
- Computer = A physical or virtual instance of the Windows operating System
- Redistribute = To include the HVDK driver files as part of a software product or package. This refers to the actual driver files, as well as the HVDK Standard or Professional installer executable.
- Buyer = The person or organization that subscribed to HVDK Professional. The buyer and user may be the same person or organization.
We offer the free HVDK Standard to hobbyists and professional developers who want to evaluate whether to use the drivers with their commercial or corporate/in-house software products. HVDK Standard can also be used on non-commercial public GitHub open source projects, but there are driver distribution restrictions (read below for more info).
For HVDK Standard
- The user is granted permission to install HVDK Standard on any computers that the user or users’ organization owns.
- The user is not granted permission to redistribute the HVDK drivers.
- The developers of Non-Commercial Public Open Source software projects hosted on GitHub are granted permission to advise that their project requires HVDK Standard and that end-users of the project will need to download and install HVDK Standard from the Tetherscript HVDK Download page. The GitHub project page or help files must link directly to the Tetherscript HVDK Download page. The GitHub project page is not granted permission to host the HVDK Standard files or installer. We are happy to support the free and open source community, but also want to ensure that all users are getting official and secure HVDK Standard files.
If a developer wants to redistribute the HVDK drivers as part of their commercial or corporate/in-house software products, they must purchase a subscription to HVDK Professional. The subscription ensures that the developer receives updated drivers with updated signatures.
- For HVDK Professional
- The buyer is granted permission to install HVDK Professional on up to a three physical or virtual computers that the buyer or the buyer’ organization owns. This means that there are three concurrent development ‘seats’.
- The buyer is granted permission to redistribute the Tetherscript-signed drivers as part of the user’s software package or installer. This redistribution is granted royalty-free.
- The buyer is granted permission to digitally sign, cross-sign and redistribute the included unsigned drivers included in HVDK Professional. If the buyer wants to digitally sign and cross-sign the drivers, the buyer must purchase a code-signing certificate that has cross-signing compatibility at their own cost. This redistribution is granted royalty-free.