Stupid question time about mouse emulation

Post your question or observations here.

Moderator: DevRuss

dhctza

Stupid question time about mouse emulation

Post by dhctza » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:58 pm

I've been using a SpaceMouse Enterprise for a very long time. I really love the device. I like your software and I have some ideas for things I want to do with it.

OK, so the software is very very powerful but there are very few demo profiles and the instructions seem a bit thin...

I can't find any reference to driving mouse emulation from the controller. Yes I can see that one can set discrete mouse coordinates but is there a way to map say the mouse X axis to the Controller RY axis with a suitable curve. The idea is for the RY position away from 0 to control the speed at which the mouse moves in that direction. I use a ShuttlePro this way to control the speed at which a CNC axis moves. So when you move the RY to the right the mouse moves to the right at a speed relative to the position of the controller - The mouse DOES NOT change direction if the control is let go, it simply slows down to a halt. One cannot use the joystick position to directly control the position of the mouse, you can only control the speed at which the mouse moves in a particular direction.

Any thoughts...if this can be done then I will buy the software.

DevRuss
Journeyman

Re: Stupid question time about mouse emulation

Post by DevRuss » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:43 pm

This is a good question. Way back I had coded a relative mouse driver for spacemouse-to-mouse emulation, but ran into some problems. The driver was fine, but the Windows OS does some modifications (scaling) of relative mouse movement based on OS mouse sensitivity settings and monitor DPI (which is strange). Because this prevented a script from being repeatable from one machine to another, I dropped the issue. I do recall that even with the scaling working ok-ish, it was a frustrating experience to move the cursor this way.

But you bring up a good point about curves maybe being the way to control the movement. I may be revisiting this functionality this year, so no promises or anything soon.
Russ - Tetherscript Developer

dhctza

Re: Stupid question time about mouse emulation

Post by dhctza » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:58 pm

Great. I think that if you stick to using the SPmouse axis position to control the speed and direction of the mouse rather than the actual position then Windows shouldn't care. I found an Arduino sketch that does just this using a Joystick shield on a Leonado board. When I run the Leonardo along with my normal mouse Windows doesn't complain or mess up at all.